The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The EPIC MENU!!!!!

There have been quite a fair share of lousily translated signage and menu items in China and Taiwan that either arouse the audience's curiosity or turn them away. However being in the states, I notice something on the horizon in the industry of Chinese take out menu.

Photobucket


When I just moved to Atlanta about two years ago, I came across this Chinese take out restaurant that sells Chinese, Japanese (Sushi + Teriyaki and Gyro, not to mention the fried chicken wings and what not). I thought it was one of a kind. The owner was the most stereotypical money grabbing Chinese you can ever meet because he even tried to rent me a room from his house. Why not? It's all legal!

Then a few days ago, I received this Chinese take out menu at my door.

Shanghai and Tokyo, New York style?

WHAT?!

The last time I checked, these three cities/countries had pretty bad war with each other, not to mention the recent clash between China and Japan, plus US having a major military exercise just at China's door step.

Therefore, I call this the EPIC MENU, because it seems fearless.

How epic? Well, it's really not about the cross-ethnic offering that I am most impressed about. You see, on the first look, one will get confused by the title of the menu. Wait till you read what's listed:

Photobucket

I can't really describe this kind of creativity. I can't really rationalize the logic behind these unusual food names. They seem both cartoonish yet somewhat erotic.

Then here comes the big guys, the COMBOS:

Photobucket

Again, it seems that the owner of the restaurant, of whoever created these names, is trying to appeal to a wide array of audiences. The young, the old, the satisfied, the desperate, the humble, and the confident.... With just a few items on the menu, the Epic Menu has indeed conquered the world.

I really wonder what's the order rate of these items. When people order them, over the phone or in person, will they say "I want the Rainbow, eel and pacific", or will they say "Giv'me the WILD and SEXY!"? I guess it really depends on who's taking the order.

Photobucket

Ring ring....
"Harlo Shanghai and Tokyo Nu-Yok style wut you wan do orda?"
"I want the Energy Booster so that I can be Forever Young because I want to be Wild and Sexy in the Veggie Heaven..."
"Ok, you want steam rye or flied rye?"
"What kind of fried rice do you have?"
"We gut pok, chicken and beef, or you wan the house flied rye that gut evalydin?"
"House sounds good"
"Ok 10 minuit, U pik-up or deliverly?
"I will pick it up"
"ok thank you see you later"

No comments: