The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Sunday, May 20, 2012

The First Day


Again, the first night was sleepless, not because I was energetic, but my head was still spinning around. It was an eventful day, bidding goodbye and setting off for the airport, everything was smooth. At Taitung, the bunch of us waited at the local ministry of Education waiting for our respective school to pick us up. One after one, we get picked up. I felt like we were a bunch of orphans waiting for our adopting parents to take us from misery, not knowing what’s waiting for us at the same time. As each of us was being taken away, we bid goodbye and wish him all the best. Soon, I was the one receiving the blessing.

Two staff members came to pick me up. They were “chatty”, seems easy to get along with, but gives me the feeling that they aren’t “listeners” simply because they just kept talking and talking, and I just listened. They weren’t talking about anything serious, just personal things and what to buy… Basically I was a by stander of two lady’s conversation.

After getting some basic groceries, we were about to head to the school which is about an hour away. Just at that moment, I got a call from the scooter shop that my scooter has arrived. Wow, that’s quick! I just sent it off to be shipped the day before and it’s there already! Initially I thought it will take a few days, but now I can just ride it to the school! Once I have wheels, no problem is a problem.

I don’t think the journey can start any more perfect. Riding my own scooter along the coastal highway, the air was salty and all I could see were ocean, mountain and endless paddy fields. Oh, there are cows running around too!

By the time I arrive at the school, it was getting late and I was welcomed by a bunch of dogs. These are strays adopted by one of the staff members. I was kind of concern with the hygiene issue, but the dogs have been around for quite some time and the couple seem to have taken good care of them, I think it should be alright. Then, there’s this chunky Labrador that came sniffing around and tucked his head under my hands. Typical Labrador! It was mellow and friendly. That night I was preparing to ride to town to get some supply, he just jumped onto the scooter waiting for a ride. Well buddy, not tonight! I was actually sadden by this sight, because his previous owner must have the habit of taking him around on a scooter, that he misses being on a scooter. He’s abandoned. Whether he’s free now or homeless, it’s a new life for him, just like me.

Then, it’s the hostel itself…. Well, it needs work. A lot of work. The paint is felling off due to moisture. It’s moldy. The shower was not getting hot water. The whole place needs an over haul. Work’s cut out for me.

So, it was a sleepless night, trying to digest all that happened in the day and anticipating what’s coming next.

No comments: