The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Friday, August 3, 2007

The village

Full video and photo gallery HERE!!!


It's an ordinary small village where most of the young have left for the city. This is where my grandparents and my mom's from. Most of the residents of the village grew up here, so everyone knows each other. Since marriage between local folks were common in the past, I keep "running into" distance relatives in the village. Every time I walk around the village with my grandpa, he would tell me "this guy is your #$%# and that guy is @#$%%". Well, by distance relative, I meant people like "my great grand ma's younger brother's son's wife's sister....." So it's possible that I am related to the entire village. One big happy family.

Everyone in the village wakes up early since they are mostly old folks. My grandparents typically wakes up at 5.30am or 6am to beat the sun as they do some work on their farm.
At 8am, I walked to the market to get myself some breakfast, and people are almost ready to go home!

On my way to the market... slow start of a day.



Market along the street



Almost everyone is a farmer, therefore the village is surrounded by farm lands, mostly fruit farms. The fruits range from pineapple, banana, tomato, corns, sugarcanes, papayas, mangoes as well as vegetables.

My favourite thing to do is simple ride around the village, among the fields checking what the farmers are up to. Every season, there will be different crops, so there are always new shots to capture.

On my grandma's bicycle





Here's a tour of what's in the fields:

Mini watermelon... nah, it's just one of the rejects.



Banana tree and flower!





.... and a real BUNCH of bananas




Silk Melon






Pineapples



The farmers cover the pineapples with cloth to prevent virus and birds from attacking it. It also preserve the moisture level from the summer heat.

Hello Kitty




Lonely papaya tree



Mini papaya tree


papaya plantation



No pesticide beats having a scare crow





Right beside my grandpa's farm land is a common area where the locals gather under the tree shade to kill time.



Driving along the tiny country roads



Another beautiful temple:






Birds knows the best spots for home

1 comment:

Vanessa Su said...

Nice! I have never been to farms like that since "fish farm" is more popular around my grandparents' area.

and yes! banana does grow upside down!