The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Detroit Jazz Festival 2008

As mentioned in the earlier entry, the Detroit Jazz festival is a must-go event if you are in town. 3 days of world class free outdoor concert... I mean, come on!

It's a very casual event, more like a fun fair, but all the seriousness when it comes to good jazz. It's all self explanatory, so I will just go ahead and show you what I could take home.

Giant "puppet"



For some reason, there are always people playing chess at the festival. It's weird.



Performing stage with the GM Renaissance Center in the background.











Here's my favorite of all. The Gerald Wilson Big Band. They are one of the biggest shows of the festival and I've seen their performance 3 years in a row. The conductor, Gerald Wilson, is 90 years old. He can't even walk steadily onto the stage, but when the instruments start playing, he's more energetic than a puppy.



His old buddy( sorry can't remember his name) mastering in guitar. This is the first time I've heard a guitarist so good that it literally is the vocal portion of a song. Like my friend said, his didn't need to impress the audience with fast and heavy techniques. It's as clear and precise, yet emotional.



Grand finale!





A special night for Detroit.





This may be the last time I attend the Detroit Jazz festival, but I definitely look forward to come back some day.

No comments: