The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Saturday, October 15, 2011

國立藝術館 National Museum of Fine Art

So here’s a first, a National Museum of Fine Art in Taiwan. There is an art museum in Taipei, but it’s really just a regional museum, not a national museum. It’s a surprise that Tai Chung was chosen to be the site because everyone complains that Taipei gets all the good stuff. Well, I am glad as well.


Before we got to the museum site, we parked a few blocks way to have lunch first. This is not your typical Taiwan city. It’s open, clean, organized and I actually felt comfortable. This is so unlike Taipei. I think I can live here.


The museum is a new one. The city government was trying to compete for the next Guggenheim Museum but did not make it for some reason. So they built this instead. Architecturally, it’s nothing impressive to rave about, but I like the openness of the facility, which is a good thing since Taiwan is always struggling for space. It is both a pleasant surprise to me and disappointment inside the museum. I was glad that there is finally a place in Taiwan to host major exhibitions and collection, a collection of our own other than those left from the ancient history. However, I was disappointed at the design and construction of the museum. It doesn’t look like a recently built building because the use of materials lay out does not show maturity in the designer’s, or rather, the decision maker’s judgment. This is the moment to shine, but I think they definitely need more buffing compound.

Nonetheless, I think this is a good start. Like I said, I am glad to be here.

Umbrella locker.

No comments: