The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Saturday, October 15, 2011

逢甲夜市 Tai Chung: Feng Jia Night Market


Tai Chung is the third largest city in Taiwan, after Taipei and KaoHsiung. I know almost nothing about this city despite having driven through it a few times, but never had the chance to explore it. I don’t know any one in this city, nor its lay out. Today, I am just a passenger on a car going to somewhere. We arrive at Tai Chung city as a half way stop to spend the night, but to explore its most famous night market, the Feng Jia Night Market.


There is something unique about Feng Jia Night Market, that is, it is right at the door of Feng Jia University. So really, the night market exists because of the student population. I was thinking how amazing it would be if I am a student here. There’s absolutely no way I will be able to maintain my weight!


Usually, night market means two things. Chaos and filth. Since this is the norm in Taipei, I wasn’t expecting any different in Tai Chung. To my surprises, considering the crowd, the streets were quite clean. It’s also interesting how the LED revolution has taken over Taiwan. Since Taiwan is the bigger exporter of LEDs, not only are many road signs now made of LEDs, even the stall signs are LED aided. It’s like the futuristic version of night market, when humanity progress from neon lights to the high tech and efficient LEDs.


The night was great because Tai Chung left me a good first impression. All that’s on the media on Tai Chung are its notorious night clubs and gang related events, but so far I am impressed. The streets are also relatively easy to navigate and definitely better laid out than Taipei. Of course, Tai Chung, being a younger city has the advantage of learning from prior experience. So here’s an option for me if I were to consider where to settle. Bring just 2.5 hours from Taipei, I think I can deal with that.


No, no one's selling dog meat. The girl behind was promoting some thing and the dog was there for show.


Coin operated fortune telling machine!!!!

More night market photos HERE!!!

No comments: