The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Grand American Tour:The End

The plane approached Taiwan as the day was just about to begin. Descending through the thick clouds, the sun was just over the horizon waiting to show its face to the world. I’m back.



Walking out of the airport, there were tons of police and media. Apparently there’s some famous dude coming to Taiwan this morning. I didn’t see who he is, but as I got into the taxi, the photographers went crazy inside the waiting area. Oh well, not for me.

From the airport to home, I realized that there have been a lot of changes in the past year, more than any “year” that I’ve noticed. The airport is still under renovation after under heavy critics from the public of being out dates and embarrassing. I definitely agree. The immigration process is much quicker. The luggage conveyer were spitting out baggage more efficiently, although still a ways off Singapore’s Changi Airport. Getting onto the road, the road surface seems new. The roads are also installed with LED road signs powered by solar panels. Wow, that’s a first! Along the way, I see that the Taipei University campus is fully operational. Getting off the ramp, it’s been modified to have another continuing extension to another part of the city. Onto the local roads, the city drew up some bike lanes for cyclists although it really doesn’t make sense to have to share it with pedestrians. However, Taiwan’s traffic isn’t all that friendly either, so I guess it’s a compromise.

It’s 6.30am in the morning. The air is hazy as always, but businesses are already going at full speed. Food stands are packed with people accumulating energy for the rest of the morning. Markets are busy and even used car dealerships’ lights are already on. That’s the typical Taiwanese entrepreneur spirit. Most people work for themselves, therefore it’s up to them to put in the extra mile to make the buck.

So far, the biggest challenge I am facing is really the perspective of ethics. Having lived abroad for most of my life, I’ve learned to live in the most honest and respectful ways. Getting back home, my mom was telling me that she got a bunch of pears from this fruit stand for real cheap because it was at the end of the day and the stall owner had to discount them. 8 for NT$100, which is about US$3. Well, I am sure that somewhere in Confucius’ teachings, one will find teaching of not to take advantage of people in their vulnerable states. Which means, I’d not have liked to take advantage of the discount just because the lady needed to sell out before she closes for the day. The pears are fine, and there is nothing wrong with anything. So why should I pay less? Yes, I sound ridiculous. Why not take advantage when it doesn’t hurt? I don’t know, I just know that my mind doesn’t operate like any one here. So much for a start.

No comments: