The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Grand American Tour Day 28 to 30: Seattle







So today, I woke up fresh. It’s the first day that I don’t have my reliable buddy waiting for me to go to places. The road trip has ended, and I was trying to find the energy to convince myself that there’s more to see. After satisfying my body’s basic needs with a bowl of Pho and tie loose ends at the bank, I took the clumsy and cold bus to downtown. The excuse was, I needed to get a book for my sister and it’s available downtown.

I was at Seattle three years ago. An old buddy of mine from elementary school days lived here and we had a blast, but the trip was short and I didn’t really have a good look at the city. So today, I went back to Pike Market, the tourist trap. Seattle, like Vancouver and Toronto, is an extremely diverse city in terms of demographics. Lots of people from different parts of the world. Lots of Asians. The guy who bought my car is from Cambodia. The bus driver looks Chinese. So far, it seems that I have encountered more non Caucasians and Caucasians. Pike Market is also very interesting. If you go to Boston’s Quincy Market, it’s really a local Boston cultural place. So it’s more of an Irish/Caucasian run market. Pike Market is very different. It’s famous for people tossing fish left and right, but to me, it’s more interesting for the fact that quite a number of businesses are Asian based. Chinese restaurant, food stalls, arts and crafts…. You name it. It seems that Asian culture and presence has be very well integrated into Seattle’s social fabric. The locals are used to it. It’s a part of what defines Seattle, and will probably feel weird without it.

So today, I went by a Cantonese style bakery, the one that my buddy insist that I try its Cha Shiu Bao (Chinese BBQ pork bun). I personally isn’t impressed by it because I didn’t feel it was anything unique. It’s a good bun, well made with solid ingredients, but not to an “amazing” standard. Anyways, I stopped by and ordered a steamed BBQ pork bun. I guess I just want to relive the memory three years ago. I guess it just helps me feel like I know what I am doing. I guess it makes me feel less strange to this place. I guess I just want to do it to I can tell my friend how he should be jealous of me.



















The streets of Seattle is also filled with interesting characters. However, ever city has its unique set of characters. Detroit’s street bums, Ft Lauderdale’s beach bums, New Orleans’ “stand-still-and-get-paid” street performers, NYC’s subway musicians. Seattle seems to be a very laid back city. The street homies are gentle. They ask, but don’t push. People are generally polite and helpful even when not asked to. At the book store, the young cashier did more than just being a cashier. When I was at the bus stop ready to get my cash out for the fee, a young guy beside me explained to me that since we are in the “free-ride” zone, I don’t have to pay until I get off the bus. The bus drivers are nice and interactive. Everyone thanked the driver as they get off the bus. One kid even chatted with the driver before he got off,”Looks like summer’s leaving sooner than expected!”

It seems that everyone in the city is trying hard to do his part, by making it easier for each other to pull through the day. Just as the day ends, something was happening at the horizon. It was the sun peering through a hole in the dense clouds. Finally, I see something that I really desire. It was also a nice conclusion of the day, makes me feel better about tomorrow.















So I am done, mentally. I don’t have any desire to get onto the street, just want to chill in the apartment. I am lost, not knowing what to motivate myself with. Looking at the lagging blog posts that I am typing now, and the folders of photos to process, I feel defeated, by myself. I don’t really think of this as something too big for me to achieve. It’s just about following it through. At some point, enthusiasm becomes a chore. I just need to complete it, so that I can complete it. Referring to my experience in grad school, I was on the last leg of my preparation for my thesis work. All the theories and content are solidified, in my mind. I had strong belief in what I cooked up, so all’s left was the execution of presenting the theory in physical forms. It was just a matter of chore, and I had the same feeling. Couldn’t wait to get it done and over with, and to move on. Move on to what? To implement my theories and ideals in the real world. No more idealistic but useless talks, no more preaching. I just want to do it and prove it. Right now, this is the point. Leaving and ending this stage of my life, I made this decision because I want to put real effort into practicing my ideals. How is it going to work out? That’s what I will find out. It probably will be painful, just like this very moment sitting on my arse waiting for the transition period of change to take place. It’s anticipation mixed with anxiety. It’s what makes life uncomfortable but exciting. I wonder how much longer my physical body can take such stress. My mind? Still sane… well, at least I think so.












Click HERE for more photos of Seattle!!!

No comments: