The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Monday, July 20, 2009

Atlanta Photowalk - Oakland Cemetery

Back in January 08, I mentioned about architecture of the dead being a taboo topic to talk about in the traditional Chinese culture (http://cowingaround.blogspot.com/2008/01/architecture-for-dead.html) . Well, seems like the westerners don't mind talking about theirs at all! Actually this isn't surprise to me at all. Cemeteries here are generally well maintained and none of that eerie atmosphere. Of course, one wouldn't just walk in and start taking photos. This time, it was an organized photo walk.



Personally, I am not a fan of taking photos that includes the deceased's names or tombstone for that matter. I don't want to see them as "art" or "artifact". I don't have a reason that I can articulate, but it more like "that's none of my business". I feel like taking a photo of their identity is sort of invading their privacy.... I was looking for something less personal to them, but mean more to me.





There are many interesting architectural elements around the cemetery. I personally have no knowledge about any of them. I am sure there are stories such as trends, styles, reasons to functionality and interesting origins to why they appear the way they are.





Here's one that I don't mind staying in!



I think one of the things about cemeteries is its environmental context. Cemetery, among many other kinds of facilities, is a struggle to have. It is definitely essential to a society, yet no one really want to live near one. Therefore to me, what surrounds it becomes more interesting to me than the cemetery itself.









Ultimately, whatever what exists in this world is meaningless to the deceased. It is our consciousness that defines our perception towards why and how we present an ideology. Why would it matter to the deceased how he or she is buried, burnt, chopped and fed to the vultures or the fish? It only matters to us the living ones. The existence of this cemetery really isn't about the dead, but the very lively people who build it. In a way, this is like a temple or church. It represents memories, values, lessons, guilt, proof, meaning... A cemetery, as much as it is said to be built for the dead, it really for us to pass our culture down to future generations. To me, a cemetery isn't a place where life ends, but where life regenerates.

More photos here if you are still interested to see more dead....

No comments: