The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Washington DC



I've been to DC quite a few times, mostly when I was doing my internship in Maryland. Back then, I didn't really know DC well beyond the typical tourist traps like the mall area, so this time, I asked a friend to show me the real deal!

So what's the real deal? The real deal is where real DC folks live and hang out. Where they eat and spend. So first stop, breakfast!















I guess this must be some famous place. Lots of autographed photos of famous people, lots of satisfied smiles, including ours. The waiters were very friendly, even offered me to take a photo from behind the counter!


One thing about DC that surprised me is how green the city is. Of course, you will probably say," Yeah, it's the capitol, of course they will make sure the landscaping is well done." I am not talking about the perfect lawns or trees on the streets, but flower gardens in the neighborhoods, the private backyards or front porch where pedestrians walk. This is resident's movement, not some institutional policy. All I can say is, I feel the summer!







Next we visited the Eastern Market, which is basically a local market where people come here for crafts, flowers, food and random things. I guess this is a place where people feel like they actually live in a neighborhood.



















The infamous Pentagon!!!









Can't remember which money temple that French dude was running.... oh well.







This is quite unique. Modern highrises built over old buildings.












Dupont circle is close to George Town, where filthy rich and ambassadors live. It is also where a lot of embassies are. The architecture here is surprisingly New Englandish... may be I am just ignorant. It reminds me of Boston, but bigger, more spacious and more elegant.





























DC has taken me by surprise, in a very good way. I can imagine living here. It has great offerings. Culture, business and escapes. The country side is just a short drive away, with tons of world class museums right down town for free, plus the diversity of culture and people. Not to mention trees, REAL TREES!!! Not those in Florida that doesn't even provide a decent shade. These are REAL TREES with REAL LEAVES!!!!

So to end, I will top it off with more greens!


























Thanks to Lew for taking the time to show us around!


To see more photos, click HERE

No comments: