The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Friday, March 1, 2013

Jell-O from 'murica!!!!!!!

Preparing for this class was a lot more work than I have expected. Since the Thanksgiving class when the kids screamed at the sight of Jell-O, I've been planning a session to bring them the real thing. Of course, this is also a good chance to teach them something else, which is the first of the three "R"s - Reuse.

I started collecting food containers from the convenient stores, wash them and save them for this big day. I had ideas on how to make multiple layers to make it more fun. I was actually planning to show them how to cook it on the spot.

As the package arrived and I started working on the first batch, I realized that it's going to take a lot more time to do this. A 30min session will be too short, and probably too chaotic. The kitchen is also not a good place to have 50 kids crowding in it, would be more like a night club gone wild with fire and hot boiling water. That's a bad bad idea. So I decided to film the "making-of" video separately to save time and trouble for the class. Well, it means a lot more preparation work before hand.

Obviously, this is also time for some simple English learning! Flavors! What better time to teach them about flavors? Raspberry, strawberry, orange and cherry. I made a mistake with the first batch and was worried that the Jell-O won't be enough. After all, there are 50 monkeys to feed. So I went to the town to get more. That where the mango and chocolate flavored pudding came from.

After all these different sessions, I really feel like I have become a variety show host, or rather, a clown. I go up there with some materials to show for, but the rest of the content is made up on the spot depending on the kids reactions. For example, when the Jell-O showed up in the class, I used the different colors to let them guess what flavors they are, which became a chance to revise the words they've just learnt. That was not planned. The collapsing table was definitely not planned too, and I also didn't expect the kids to have a significantly higher preference for chocolates. Again, it's a learning experience for me as it is for them. Seeing them lick their bowls and kept telling me how delicious it taste meant a lot. On the other side.... those English words I taught them probably got swallowed down as quickly as how they consumed the Jell-O. It's hardly present in their memories now.

But they all learnt something. Raspberry! Thanks Matt!

No comments: