The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Architecture for the Dead

My parents will probably say I am crazy, because nobody takes photos of the graves. Grave in Taiwanese culture is one of those untouchable things. You simply don't talk about it. They are definitely not a thing to appreciate, and depreciates property value if there's one near by. Well, there is this part of the town that we drive by pretty often. It's beside some hills which are cluttered with graves. I don't know if this is a government destinated burial site, but it's not very organized. Most of these have been around for a long time, so I guess it was there before anyone could say anything.





So I simply cannot ignore its existence, and begin to notice that the design of those graves are pretty interesting. They follow an obvious style with variations, so there is a tradition. They are like cars. Some of which are open, like convertibles. Some even have little houses like hard tops. Then there's a big emblem on the facade. However, I guess no body really asks why do these variations exist and what they mean. I don't know either, and hope some expert(preferably mortals) out there can tell me.

No comments: