The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

VEGAS!!!!! CES After thought......

So what's my conclusion from the CES?

Well, something got me thinking. This year, other than Microsoft and Motorola trying to catch up to Apple, it's the Koreans who tried desperately to shine. Samsung and LG had the biggest booths. Even Hyundai showed up with their in-car interactive technologies. You can tell that they are really trying very hard, and I think their efforts are well paid off. The Japanese seems to be, well, given up. Sony had a big booth only because they are expected to. Toshiba, Sharp, Panasonic and others are quiet this year. Well, no matter how quiet they are, they can't be more quiet than the Taiwanese!!! Asus, Acer and HTC are nowhere to be found even though both Acer and HTC had major product launches. You know, there were so many Taiwanese visitors at the show that even my Korean co-worker said we could have made a quick one selling 便當(Taiwanese lunch box), but shame on Taiwan. Where's the glory?

HEre!



Taiwanese booths being tucked away at the no-body-even-knew-they-were-there north hall. Taiwan's economy depends on these fellows. Taiwan's success is built on the sweat and blood of these fellows, but that doesn't mean this is all Taiwan's got to offer to the world! While everyone else is trying to fight for a place on the world platform, Taiwan's fighting for the bread crums. As OEM/ODM part supplier, Taiwan will never find its way onto the leading position in any kind of world stage, because this are the screws and bolts, not the glamors and bling stuffs.

Now before you think I am dismissing the hardwork of these people, no I am not. I am just disappointed in their lack of motivation.

While I was walking in the area, I came across a booth of a Taiwanese company that specializes in screen cleaning kit. They have pretty neatly designed products on display, so I asked the staff if they have their own brand. The lady said they do OEM and ODM, and work with foreign design firms to design their products. So knowing their capability in turning out quality products, I asked them why not try to sell to big box retailers and make a name out of their own brand? All I got was "branding cost too much money..." Hello? The last time I checked, that's exactly what the Japanese, Korean and Chinese did, relentlessly, to gain a spot on the world market. Just years ago, LG was being dismissed by Whirlpool, consumers avoided Hyundai and Kia like a plaque, and who the hell is Haier? Today, LG is more competitive than Whirlpool, Hyundai and Kia are known for cheap buy reliable products and Haier is the up and coming NBA sponsor. Where's these Taiwanese folks? Still tucked in their corner eating 便當 because no one's there any way.

I was disheartened.

Then I walked over to the Singapore section where I experienced some very strangely familiar sights and sounds. Ah Bengs playing techno music, I was back at SimLim Square...




WAIT!!!! That's not all!!! I mean hope.

While looking at the more popular section of the North hall where the rest of the world is, here's one interesting booth, a Taiwanese booth.

It's called Bone Collection, based in the town next to where I live in Taiwan. They make neat little silicone collectible accessories, like themed characters to dress your USB flash drives up, or other accessories for your iPhone.

Here's an interesting piece of rubber(no it doesn't prevent STDs). It's for your iPhone4. This thing, when your iPhone4 docks into it, it amplifies the sound by 13db. Oh big deal, my puny little PC speaker can do better. Well, the catch is, this is all rubber, no power, no speaker, no technology and no STDs!









Here are other products from them.















So I spoke to them on these designs, and confirmed that there are indeed designed and made in Taiwan. Wow, that's some serious hope right there! Actually, I don't think these will fly in the US market. It will become a niche, but not a popular item. I think these will do much better in Europe, especially Iceland, and especially if they are made of sugar, but that will be competing against my friend.

Best of luck to them!

At the end of the show, here's the summary of my feelings.

No comments: