The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Grand American Tour (Part V: San Francisco)



I’ve been to SF before when I was a kid, but have absolutely no memory of it except the cable cars and the Golden Gate Bridge. So here I am, trying to reclaim what I forgot. I actually didn’t plan to come to SF, but since I had time and my friend was also dying to get out, we decided to have a day tour of the city trying to be as touristy as we can be. One of the main things that struck me in SF is the architecture style. This is not something that I am familiar with. I cannot really began to describe it. It’s like a mix between Greek and Spanish and Victorian. Every house looks different, but when they sit together, they seem to belong together. Strange, but interesting.















After spending a bit of time watching the Golden Gate Bridge from the east side and taking photos of bunker ruins, we headed to the Palace of Fine Arts that was built for 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition. What’s that? I don’t know. What’s left is a very beautiful and “picturistic” public park for locals and tourists, and those nasty sea gulls. What was also interesting was, there were painters everywhere around it painting the facility. All of them were painting with oil. Some were better than the other. I don’t really know if they belong to a group, which they don’t seem to relate to each other. If they weren’t, why were they all painting the same thing at the same place? Are they commercial painters trying to be seen? I don’t know, but I just felt that this whole thing felt fake, from the architecture to the painters. It was like a big stage, an ongoing drama playing since 1915.









And of course, got to go to Fisherman's Wharf…. This is where I don’t really have much to say except acknowledging the massive crowd of tourists, restaurants and street performers… and again, annoying sea gulls. There were also those lazy-ass sea lions again. Time to head back to the ever sunny San Jose!























More photos from San Francisco HERE

No comments: