The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Grand American Tour (Part VII: Chicago)



Arhh…. The windy city, again. Actually, of all the many times of my visit to Chicago, I’ve never really experienced the notorious wind created by venture effect when air is forced between the highrises in Chicago, so I really cannot speak for that myself.











Chicago is an absolutely comfortable city. It is not as chaotic as NYC but shares the same benefit of great public transportation. It is also as vibrant and culturally rich as any major city in the States, even as compared to European cities. Its architecture is in no doubt incomparable by any city in the States, and it is even growing and progressing. This time, Chicago is fighting for the 2016 Olympics. By the time I am writing this, Rio de Janeiro has already been declared the winner and the international Olympic committee didn’t seem to give a damn about Obama’s plead. Oh well, too bad for them. However, because of the preparation for the fight for the Olympic rights, Chicago has done a series of city public upgrades and clean-ups. A year ago when I visited Chicago, the subway stations were small and dirty. I cannot even recognize any of the station this time simply because they have been cleaned up! They also have included more sculptures in the Millenium Park as well as hosting a series of world-class performances at the park’s stage. This is almost like rewarding the citizens of Chicago for something good they’ve done…. Except, that they’ve haven’t really done anything.









It was also pleasant to find out that Chicago’s Lincoln Park Zoo is open to the public for free! Wow, I’ve never see a free zoo before, let alone one so close to downtown. Well, most of the animals were absent, but still, it was great for the residents here. Chicago also have one of the best natural history museums in the country, if not the world. The Field Museum is definitely a must for visitors, and be ready to spend a good full day walking through all the exhibits. I’ve never seen so many dead animals in my life before! Different from the zoo, you get to see the animals and fossils from very close distance, something which is impossible when they are alive. It is an absolutely awesome opportunity for education.







What else is great about Chicago… hmmm… many more things, but I really have to live here to explain it. It is one of the most desirable major cities for me, but there’s one reason why I won’t want to live here. The winter.

So here’s the end of my Grand American Tour. Heading back to Atlanta, I was more than ready to be able to rest, be able to get back to my own pillow and bed, and be able to have full control of my own time and schedule. At the same time, it was a unbelievable 2.5 weeks. I felt alive being away from the daily routine and thoughts. I was on constant learning mode, seeing new things and absorbing new sights and sounds. I came to a conclusion that this is what I really want to do. I am a nomad, and hopefully, able to find anchor in everywhere I go.

More Chicago Photos HERE

No comments: