The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Friday, August 28, 2015

Taiwan Road Trip 2015 #01: A trip to recover lost soul

A trip to recover lost soul

 photo 2015_Trip_Map_01_zpsqmmcbviq.jpg

Taipei –> Suao –> Mt. Lishan & Mt. Fushou

 photo DSC_9368_zpsl58dsiii.jpg

Ok the title sounds a bit too serious, but I was getting really worn out after a year of “civilization”, doing things just to conform or to allow the system to continue running even though they are completely meaningless. Since the winter break (which I didn’t get to take a break and still sour about it), I’ve been looking forward to the summer, this particular two weeks when I will embark on my own journey. I admit that I am being selfish about this particular two weeks. I didn’t want to spend it with my family because that means I have to spend it their way. I want it to be my own way, my own pace and mostly by myself, because that’s what I need, a time to ask myself questions and find answers for, a time to reset myself and find my bearing. I’ve also wanted to do a road trip for a long time, because it’s long due for one. I’ve done a few road trips before and found it extremely enjoyable and satisfying. Also being a combination of a few things that I really enjoy doing, namely driving, photography and whatever the hell I want, this highly customizable and flexible way of traveling is perfect for me. However it being a road trip means I need one thing. Vehicle! And yes, finally have my own car, one of my dreams. Well it’s not exactly a high powered sports car, but a simple, nimble and extremely well-handled car which is perfect for the kind of driving that I enjoy. Also this time there’s a new addition to my road trip. I’m bringing my mountain bike along, because why not?

When people ask the question “What do you have planned for summer break?”, most are expecting answers like “Japan” or “Thailand”. People in Taiwan are so used to taking vacations abroad that many know Tokyo or Hong Kong like the back of their hands, but have absolutely no idea where Taitung or Lanyu Island is. To them, Taitung is further than Tokyo. In many ways this is true, because the transportation to these places are more difficult than taking a quick flight. To get to Taitung, you have to either take a long train ride which the tickets are hard to get, or drive a very long way around the island. You can also take a domestic flight, but then why not just fly abroad while at it? This applies to many other destinations in Taiwan as well. To me, I’ve been outside of Taiwan for too long, I just want to dedicate my time to this island for the time being.

No comments: