The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Friday, August 28, 2015

Taiwan Road Trip 2015 #09: Sometimes, friends don't need to know each other well

 photo DSC_9721_zpsll1tmqgn.jpg

There is this secret spot where I would go to shoot landscape shots because it offered a excellent view of the landscape over seeing the pacific ocean and the Sanxian Island from an elevated view point. This place is a temple quite deep in the mountain and not many people know about it. I have been there a few times in the past and had some conversations with the lady who runs the place. She's friendly and absolutely enjoys being there by herself enjoying the nature and be of service to her god. She never knew my name and I never asked for hers. I was the guy who will show up to shoot photos and she's always there, that was the extend of our relationship.

So as I planned to shoot sunrise the next morning, I thought I should pay her a visit the afternoon before to give her a heads up, also to see if the road to the temple has any special thing to watch out for.

 photo DSC_9718_zpsyueeanml.jpg

As I arrived at the temple and parked car, with her looking at my car since she has very few visitors, I opened my door and stepped out. She immediately said, "Oh it's you, welcome back!"

I was actually quite surprised that she remembered me.

"So how are you? Still living in Tu Cheng?"

Wow, she even remembered where I live in Taipei!

"Still teaching at the same school?"

And she even remembered what I do!

"So you came back to visit the school kids? How are they?" "Here I've lots of candies that people bring as offerings. I have no idea what to do with them, you can take them and give to the kids!"

At that moment, I really felt that I had just left the day before, that we were never separated by the one full year when I wasn't around, because the way we exchanged our thoughts was like continuing a chat that ended shortly before. Suddenly, I felt home, and she made me feel that way even though we don't really have any real ties. I think it is the small gestures that people take special effort in doing that makes all the difference. In this case, she remembers the non-essential details about me, which made me feel cared for. Perhaps that's all she knew about me, which is fine, because that's all she needed to be a good friend.

 photo DSC_9764_zpsknxcde9m.jpg

 photo DSC_9841_zpss7iuxyte.jpg

 photo DSC_9880_zpspg9pwzfe.jpg

 photo DSC_9909_zpsutuy0mh2.jpg

No comments: