The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Friday, August 28, 2015

Taiwan Road Trip 2015 #05: Typhoon Sourdelor



As I headed to Tainan to visit my grandparents, typhoon Sourdelor was making its way towards the island. Media reports estimate it to bring strong wind and high rainfall, but the weather forecast has been rather inaccurate lately, still can't be careful enough. Luckily for me, I happened to be at my grandparents' place when it arrives.

It's been quite a while since I've experienced a strong storm. Since young we were taught to prepare for typhoon. The houses back then weren't as strong, the windows not as well made and infrastructure not as tough. So we had to stock up canned food and instant noodles, candles as well as tape the window panels. Rarely did we actually use these emergency supply, so for the most part, this was all for the fun of a typhoon day-off. When I was at Taitung teaching at the elementary school, I've had a few strong typhoons, but again, since it comes and leaves over night, there was barely anything to get ready for. Times have changed, we have gotten better prepared from the infrastructure level, the main hurt we get from such a storm is usually the short power outage, water shortage and inflated produce prices. For those who live in the mountains, this means much worse for them. Mud slides, land slides, cut off of access road, loss of property and lives. It was a good time to get down from the mountains.

So essentially, I didn't really know what to expect of the typhoon. It could be extremely strong or I may feel nothing being in Tainan. Time would tell. The day was still bright and clear and no sign of storm, and then the wind picked up quickly when night fall. At that point it was mostly strong winds but little rain. It was until late into the night when the rail came and it's been loud and fierce since. I spend a good time sitting at the front roofed yard looking at my car being pounded on by the rain and wind. I wasn't worried about my car getting hurt, but it just looked like my car was being tested in the wind tunnel. Given that my car didn't get blown away, it's aerodynamics must have worked. That little spoiler at the back was well worth its presence.

All jokes aside, things weren't going so well out there. By late afternoon of the following day, the power went out. Apparently a big tree nearby had fallen and took down an electric pole. Given how strong the storm was, we thought it will take the storm to pass before technicians show up. Nope, within 30min, we saw a yellow truck with flashes on and guys in yellow hard hats working their magic in the strong wind and rain, and another 30min passed, we had power. Talk about the real heros, these guys risked their lives to make sure that our conveniences aren't disrupted. I really applaud their dedication.

That night, the storm became a little more calm and I took a short stroll out to the main compound and spotted the damage. All I could see was the fallen tree and the electric poles, it wasn't until the next morning that I realize the extend of the damage. The noodle stand under the tree was completely crushed! Well, this noodle stand had be around since I had memory, but the only impression of it was bad hygiene. Flies, flies and more flies. Also the only time I ate there was when my grandpa took me there for lunch many moons ago, a strange old man came to me and said "Do not eat beef or you will receive retribution!" Ugh.... ok I hear ya. So in a way, I was glad that the stand was gone, or at least, the owner is forced to have a new start. The clean up was on going and the military sent our young and brave to move fallen trees and fight for our national security with the most sacred weapon of all - the broom.

 photo typhoon_zpsztohpwsp.jpg

No comments: