The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Grand American Tour Day 04: Drive to Austin

What a day!

Amazing things happen when I am not on routine.

Therefore.....

To have an amazing life, I will not live a routine life.

That's what I thought today.

Got up early getting ready for the drive from New Orleans to Austin. It's going to be a long haul, so I left at around 8am. But wait, I was thinking that the French Quarter must be quiet now, so I drove right into it and took some photos with the car....

Oh no, I didn't.......!!!!





RELAX, THEY ARE LEGAL!!!! Kiddin'



As I was driving along I-10, passing through Baton Rouge, then Lafayette, flying above the beautiful parish (too bad there was no place to pull over for some sight seeing), I stopped by a garage to have something checked out on my car. It turned out to be just a forgotten connector, so it was easily fixed. The guy was impressed with the car and wanted to get the same engine for this 93 Accord. Another score by my Prelude! Earlier on, the valet kid at the hotel commented on the Prelude too. It's like walking around with a hot girlfriend.... ya noe!

So what's the next amazing thing?

As I was driving towards Lake Charles, I was thinking.... Is my cousin still there? I last spoke to her on the phone when Hurricane Rita hit the area back on 05. I've never met her in the US, only back home, back at my grandparents home town, so far far away. And today, I just happened to drive by, happened to be just before lunch, happened to dial her number not knowing if it is still valid or if she's even still in town. She picked up, we met for a quick lunch and off I continued the journey.

It all seemed so random and weird. It's as though I was traveling on a time path and she was on another, and I happened to cross path at the same instant as she did, and we met briefly, almost too briefly and departed from each other again, on our own separate ways. Eventually, we will meet again back home in Taiwan. That's like the home base, no matter how far we've ventured, we know we will see each other back home, some day, but we will.

And for me, this drive is the drive home.

The drive through Texas is really quite neat. Texas, like Miami, is a stereotype that is real. Dry ranches with long horn cattle with iron gates and old western barn houses. I was thinking if I should go right into Austin for the night, but have to pay a lot more for the hotel. Or should I stay outside of it for much better rate and go into the city in the morning. I chose the latter. So here I am, at Bastrop TX.

Then the amazing happened. The hotel is quite alright, especially for the price. The more important thing is, Bastrop is the oldest established town in Texas and has many neat old features. As I was driving around, I passed by this pile of rotting classic car bodies, with the sun setting in the back drop and beautiful clouds.... JACK POT!!!! I made a big U-turn and jumped out with the camera and tripod.












Don't be jealous, because I would too!














So that's an amazing day for me, all things random because I am not on the dead routine that I have always been on. It's a day expecting the unexpected, but most importantly, exposing myself to it. Tomorrow, I will spend some time exploring this little town before heading to a highly recommended BBQ place (It's been down hill for me since Memphis, so this is highly anticipated). Austin is not going anywhere, and I will be sure to enjoy it.

MOAR Photos HERE!!!

No comments: