The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Friday, August 26, 2011

Grand American Tour Day 07: Drive to Scottsdale



El Paso is interesting. It's not like a typical US city, more like.... Mexico. The whole town is Mexican. In fact, the only non-Mexican are the guests in the hotel.

After gotten oil change done that came with free car wash, I tried to find "downtown". I didn't have a proper map, so I looked on the GPS for spots where the streets are more dense. After driving around for a while, I still can't find "downtown". You see, El Paso is kinda flat and there isn't any distinction in city scape as well, so I can't just look up and find the tallest building. Everything was flat.





Just as I was giving up and time was running out, I pulled up at a gas station and saw a little Mexican burrito joint. Sounds interesting. Since it was almost noon, I decided to lunch there.

One problem, everything is in Spanish and I don't speak a word of it. But that's the beauty of it, let's see how things will turn out!

So I went up to the counter and spoke in broken English hoping that the lady will understand. Actually, I cannot help but to use the "stereotypical" approach to this. This is like when an American tried to speak with a non-English speaking Chinese. Psychologically, one will "lower" the standard hoping that the other party will be able to receive the message, except that this has nothing to do with "standard", but simply the difference in language.





Honestly, there is no need for language when it comes to food. It's all good.

So I got a barbarcoa burrito and another one that has potato and pork. While waiting, I got out my camera and started snapping away, and one of the ladies behind the counter started posing for me. That's what I'm talking about!

How was the food? GREAT!

Great not because of any exotic ingredient of super flavoring. Great because it was simple. Unlike American Mexican food that tends to over load the plate with stuff, cheese and beans, these burritos are just simple and humble. The barbarcoa came with just some chopped onions and cilantro, whereas the other one came with just the potato and pork. Taste is best when its pure. What I like about these burritos is I can taste the ingredients very well and the characteristic of each was well preserved and appreciated. The lady also grilled the burritos a little bit, keeping it warm and a little crisp which adds another layer of texture to the food. It was a humble meal that gives great satisfaction, accompanied by cheerful ladies who seem to cook like as if it was for their kids.







The drive then started. 7 hours of grueling road.... not as bad as the one between Austin and El Paso, but I wondered if I could take two days of driving.

The drive out of El Paso was interesting. First of all, I found where the downtown is. It's actually on the east side of the city. As I was driving out, I saw something unusual, something that will never happen in the US. It's an entire community of small concrete, brick or stone huts littered on the hilly desert landscape. No proper organization or planning. No road system as well. It was on the other side of the highway, and I realized that was Mexico.



Then I turned my head to the east, and there it is, big and perfect looking houses with well planned roads on the soil of the US of A. It was rather ironic, almost reminds me of the photo of a Brazilian high end condo neighboring a chaotic slum. That's perhaps why people from Mexico and the rest of central America are trying to get into the US, the illusion that life will be better.



Driving through New Mexico reminds me of Texas, except that it is more populated along the highway. The landscape is desert plain with bare mountains here and there. Then, the traffic slowed down, and stopped. It was the border patrol road block.

"Are you a US citizen?"
"No, but I got a visa"
"Ok, pull to the side and show me your papers"

What did I do? Alright, here inserts personal feelings about being a foreigner. Personally, I've been a foreigner all my life. Going back home is a reaction to how I feel like I am constantly a criminal without committing a crime. Anyways, not particular to the US, but being a foreigner in general means one has to be a lot more careful with what they do or don't. It's very to violate regulations without even knowing it.



Back to the drive, western Arizona is beautiful. The landscape changes quite dramatically. From flat plains with mountains to rocky climbs, to green laid rolling hills. The vegetation variety also changes from region to region. There was the short brush, then tall thin shrubs and then the iconic tall standing cactus. It's quite amazing that there is so much subtle differences between the different parts of the desert that result in different life form thriving. To humans, sand is sand, dirt is dirt. I guess even the minute difference in the amount of water will result in different type of organisms.

After 20 hours of desert driving, I don't know if I can take any more. The rest of the journey will be different. More deserts, but in entirely different manner. Here at Scottsdale, the air is hot, oven hot. At least it's not humid..... but hot.






No comments: