The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Grand American Tour Day 05: Elgin and Austin



Elgin is another historic town east of Austin. There really isn't a whole lot to say about it except that when I was checking out the train station, I heard some voice coming from the dense bushes. Then a bunch of cops walked out of the bush with equipment boxes and evidence envelopes, and a dude in hand cuffs. It appeared that they are CIS bringing the suspect back to the crime scene to reenact what he did..... ok.


When zombies rule the land, it's good to have a Texan to be on my side.













So why was I at Elgin if there was not much to see?



BBQ!!!!! A local highly recommended a place, so I came! No good BBQ is too far of a drive. After all, it was only 1657 miles!

How was it? Ok, so I got the pork rib + brisket combo. The brisket was solid! Good flavor and firm meat, not chewy. Skin is perfectly charred too! The pork rib is also good, almost fall off the bone type, but just enough to hang on to the bone until you try to pull it off with a dingy plastic fork. This is definitely a good BBQ place. Is it the best I've had? Not really, but I think this comes down to personal preference.



Then off I came into town.

They say everything is bigger in Texas. Yes. EVEN THE SUN IS BIGGER!!!
Today is just hot with the sun beating down like a ruthless SOB. After taking shelter in the state capitol building and history museum, I went down to the river park across from downtown. Over all, I like Austin. It's small, but it has a lot of diversity. The streets are clean, the facilities are well kept up. It is also quite unlike a Texan capitol I think. Austin is a very progressive city with good urban design. Sure, it's not busy like Houston, but I'd much prefer to live in a smaller city than one that is just too chaotic. In a nut shell, Austin is like the baby version of Atlanta.














So tonight will be Blues night. Will be heading down to Antone's some live blues. Need a cheap bite first!

MOAR photos HERE!!!

No comments: