The Cow is critical of the grass, or it should be. It doesn't matter where it grazes, there's always different tastes to comment on. So join the cow and cowaround the world!

Cowing Around

Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Grand American Tour Day 05: Austin live music at Antones

What's great music?

Does it need to have great vocal? Or instrument? Or technique? Or beautiful and handsome looking performers?

No. Great music is those that stir emotions.

Last night, I spent the best $10 in my life. I was recommended to go to Antone's for live music and it was just two blocks away. As I got there, the cover band was already playing. I paid my $10 of cover fee and walked in. It was a very casual setting. Open floor with some chairs and people sitting with their beers listening to the band. At the back is a bar to serve the guests. When I visited Antone's website, it said "for all ages". I guess Texans don't mind mixing minors and alcohol together. Actually, it really isn't a big deal.

Mixing minors and....

So the cover band wasn't perfect. Technique is good but not professional. These guys look young! They looked like a high school garage band, but the music is meaty, I mean, meaty blues. These young guys have no reservation when playing, but shy and humble when addressing the crowd. The crowd kept asking them to play more, and they had to ask permission unlike those rock stars. After it was over, they introduced themselves... 13 and 14 yr olds!

Mixing minors and the big boys. Austin kids do hold up!

The actual band took a while to get ready, but then they started playing.... it was heavy! Not heavy metal heavy, but rock with very heavy beats, rattles the pants! The technique was amazing. Drummer was beating the hell out of the stick and drums, and the guitarists are definitely having fun themselves.

$10. That was it. If I lived here, I'd go there a couple times a week at least. It's way better than hollywood movies in some stinky theater on blurry screen. This is live, the real deal!

No comments: